I design for equitable experiences and expansive social dreaming with educational data.
My research looks at how educational data can be used to support equitable education based on race and gender across formal and informal learning communities. I am a design researcher focused on designing equitable learning experiences for all students working at the intersection of STEM education, Human-Computer Interaction, Learning Sciences, and Learning Analytics, specifically focusing on design for critical conversations and improvement with educators and students about social justice.
I completed my Ph.D. in Computer Science & Cognitive Science at the University of Colorado Boulder, working with Prof. Tamara Sumner and Bill Penuel. I co-design and co-developed a visual learning analytics tool, Science Student Electronic Exit Ticket (SEET) system, and studied its use in leading two improvement cycles in middle school science classrooms to support equity of participation. To support this improvement, my colleagues and I designed a professional learning series called Student Experience Improvement Cycle (SEIC) to elevate students' experience using evidence-based instructional strategies, gather evidence on their effectiveness, and support teachers' orchestration.
Based on the SEIC intervention, we found significant improvement differentially in the experiences of students identifying as Black/African American, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders, and Asian Americans.
My current research agenda includes investigations on:
- Value of co-designing data visualizations with STEM educators and stakeholders and collecting evidence for effective decision making
- Designing, developing, and deploying advanced visual learning analytics tools utilizing a range of classroom data for supporting students' experiences in STEM
- Designing Professional Learning experiences for educators in K-12 in Science and Computer Science using evidence-based strategies and curriculum resources to support equity of participation
- Understanding the role of affect in educators' data-driven decision-making at individual and group levels sensemaking
- Gathering evidence on instructional strategies that support equity in student’s experience and wellbeing
- Hooray, I just defended my dissertation ("Understanding and Supporting Equity in Science Classrooms with Visual Learning
Analytics: A Novel Approach Using Student Electronic Exit Tickets (SEETs)") in fall 2022 without any revisions
- We recently published a STEM teaching tool focused on designing justice-focused assessments in science
- A symposium paper accepted at the NARST 2022 for presentation
- Successfully defended my proposal exam
- Excited to share our new work on the design of the SEET system: "Making it Culturally Relevant": A Visual Learning Analytics System Supporting Teachers to Reflect on Classroom Equity, co-authored with
Bill Penuel, Annie Allen, Tammy Sumner, Jennifer Jacobs. Presented at International Society of Learning Sciences (ISLS) 2021
- Looking forward to volunteer at Connected Learning Summit 2021
- I received 2021 Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award – Honorable Mention, University of Colorado Boulder
- Had an amazing experience working as a student volunteer at EuroVis 2021
- Presented Student Electronic Exit Ticket (SEET) system demo at the 11th Learning Analytics and Knowledge conference (LAK’21) and received positive feedback from the community